Linking up with Conversion Diary for 7 Quick Takes!
1. School is going well so far! I attended my first lecture via web conferencing last night, which was really cool. Using web conferencing technology, including a headset and microphone, was one of the things I was most nervous about going into the program, funnily enough. Now that I’ve actually done it, it’s not a big deal at all, basically just a step up from Skype or iChat. I’m taking this as a well-needed reminder not to worry so much…
2. All of the professors, academic advisors, and peer mentors have emphasized the importance of staying organized and not falling behind with classwork. I got an academic planner and have entered all of my assignments and important dates for the semester. I’m going to try to do school work in the mornings, which is when I feel the most able to focus, then work in the afternoons and evenings and relax at night. I used that schedule while taking my 203 class and it worked well. Obviously there will be days that I have to adjust and work differently, but I think it will work for most of the time.
3. I made a change to this blog’s title this week – what do you think? “She Must Seek” comes from a Mother Theresa quote I came across this week when browsing the web. I thought it would make a cool blog title and Googled it to see if anyone had it, and I discovered that the phrase was also featured in Northanger Abbey. Well, guys, you know what a “Janeiac” I am, so that settled it. “The Chai Life” became “She Must Seek.” I believe life is for seeking – seeking knowledge, understanding, purpose, meaning, self-improvement – so I thought it was appropriate.
4. Time for a Henry update! Guys, he is just the best. Not only is he completely adorable and playful, he has the sweetest disposition. I think he could turn the most adamant skeptic into a cat person. He runs around so much that it’s hard to get good pictures of him (for me, the photography amateur, at least), but here are two I took on the day we brought him home:
5. Last night I went out for sushi and The World’s End with Maryrose and her boyfriend. First of all, The World’s End is really funny, so go see it! Here’s the trailer:
Secondly, we had a very funny moment during the trailers. A preview for About Time came on, and after it was over Maryrose heard muffled noises coming from either side of her. She turned to her right and saw me wiping my eyes and muffling tears. Standard behavior – I am the sappiest. She turned to her left and saw her boyfriend hiding his face and muffling laughter. Also standard. Maryrose started laughing and then we were all laughing. Good times. The trailer in question, for your viewing pleasure:
It’s moving, right? I stand by my tears
6. Another funny moment from last night? “I think this may be the only time that Pride and Prejudice has ever been discussed inside a Jeep.” #EnglishMajorProblems #ProbablyRight #Trailblazers
7. I’m currently reading The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls by Anton Disclafani. It’s captivating. I had a feeling I would like it because it combines two of my favorite genres, bildungsroman and historical fiction, but I did not anticipate how difficult it would be to put down! I’m going to end here so I can go finish the book before work
Have a great weekend!