Linking up with Conversion Diary for 7 Quick Takes!
It has been way too long since I’ve posted! My grad program requires A TON of writing, and while that is something I enjoy, after so much academic writing I don’t always feel like writing in my free time too. Anyway, here are some quick updates:
1. Halloween is approaching and I am ready to rock my Arya Stark Halloween costume! The outfit wasn’t too difficult but I was really having a hard time deciding what to do with my hair. My hair’s really long so I knew I couldn’t go with Arya’s short haircut of Seasons 2 and 3. When I looked up her hairstyles from Season 1, though, I saw that a lot of them were side braids and I was worried people would confuse my costume with Katniss Everdeen. Not that there’s anything wrong with being Katniss Everdeen for Halloween because she’s awesome and The Hunger Games are awesome, but it’s not my costume! Anyway, I finally found this hairstyle and thought it was just distinctive enough:
Best of all, even with my limited hair-styling abilities, I am confident that I can pull off two braids and a bun! Easy!
2. The trailer for Wes Anderson’s new film, The Grand Budapest Hotel, was released yesterday and it looks incredible! I can’t wait to see it when it comes out!
3. School update: So I had this really big homework assignment and I had been really stressing about it. We had to design a database for a unique catalogue of data. I had never done anything remotely like that before and I was really nervous that I wouldn’t be able to figure it out. Anyway, I got it done (early, thank goodness) and lo and behold it actually turned out okay! It works! I haven’t gotten my grade yet because it was due yesterday, but I got some great peer feedback from my classmates. And in case you were wondering, my database was a cat adoption database and my data set was cats available for adoption at the animal sanctuary where we got Henry.
4. Anyway, my experience with that assignment was a good reminder for me to not get so worked up about things. I’ve gotten a lot better about it than I was when I was younger (no tears!), but I think it’s something I’ll have to be conscious of for quite some time. Patterns take a long time to break, and my obsessive worrying is a very deeply ingrained pattern.
5. On the subject of behavioral patterns, I’m reading a book that my sister recommended to me called You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero. I had to laugh at the title, but it’s a really good and helpful book about breaking patterns that are holding you back in life and going for what you want. One pattern I’m breaking this week? Staying in the school/work/sometimes family routine and not going out socially. This weekend I’m going to a Halloween party (as Arya, of course) and I’m planning on fighting my wallflower tendencies and having a great time! Hopefully dressing like Arya will allow my inner badass to come out
6. As far as I’m concerned, tea is one of the essential ingredients to a good life. I drink so much tea and am always on the lookout for new options. I just tried Celestial Seasoning’s Jammin’ Lemon Ginger Herbal Tea and it is a new favorite. It tastes great and gives a good energy boost without caffeine. I really, really hate tea bag tags (I have weird pet peeves), so I particularly like that Celestial Seasonings doesn’t use them on their bags.
7. I went to Target on Tuesday to buy new work clothes and vitamins and I left with only new work clothes and vitamins. Miracles happen!
Have a great weekend!